Sunday, October 19, 2008

Powell Endorses Obama

Today, one of America's top Statesmen endoresed Sen. Barack Obama for President of the United States. Mr. Powell was very eloquent in his leading up to the endorsement of Obama this morning on "Meet the Press" with Tom Brokaw. When asked by Mr. Brokaw whom Mr. Powell was going to endorse, he led into it this way:

"Yes, but let me lead into it this way. I know both of these individuals very well now. I've known John for 25 years as your setup said. And I've gotten to know Mr. Obama quite well over the past two years. Both of them are distinguished Americans who are patriotic, who are dedicated to the welfare of our country. Either one of them, I think, would be a good president. I have said to Mr. McCain that I admire all he has done. I have some concerns about the direction that the party has taken in recent years. It has moved more to the right than I would like to see it, but that's a choice the party makes. And I've said to Mr. Obama, "You have to pass a test of do you have enough experience, and do you bring the judgment to the table that would give us confidence that you would be a good president."


Read or listen to the full endorsement HERE

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like Powell, too bad he squandered his credibility on the Iraq invasion. By the way his portrayal in "W" is awesome.

This endorsement is huge, though McCain countered with his own endorsement: a Mexican soap star. Surely this will take the wind out of Obama's sails.

Joseph said...

Interesting, I need to see this "W." I've always like and admired Powell too, and also think that he was "stupified" by the Bush Administration. Well, I take that back...he is/was way too smart for that, but just went along with it. Oh well, we'll see what roll he has in the Obama Administration.

Kanani said...

I do think that Powell lost a lot of creditably when he was the mouth piece for Bush to the UN during the hearing...the DMDs hearings.

However, we've all made mistakes and I'm know that Powell realizes the vast importance of the mistakes he made while working in the Bush administration.

Endorsing Obama is his penance and he is unequivocal about it. I forgive him.

This is interesting because it throws out McCain entire rhetoric of "Commander in Chief" clause.

Kevin said...

Powell also took a swipe at Bush with his endorsement, commending Obama's "intellectual curiousity."

One of the earliest and most consistent criticisms against Bush is his lack of patience with learning and new ideas.